The winners of the DWL Short Story Contest 2017 have been announced. Please visit our contest results page for more details.
Our annual contest has no entry fee and is open to writers worldwide. The 2017 contest offered a total of nearly $800 in prize money, including the PKR 50,000 Dastaan Award (read more about the annual award).
The top three entries for the contest will win $100 each and ONE of the top 3 stories will also receive the Dastaan Award. The jury for the contest consists of DWL and Papercuts magazine staff members.
Read the winning entries from the 2016 edition of the DWL Short Story Contest here.
Submission Guidelines for DWL’s Annual Short Story Contest:
1. The stories may follow any theme, but should not be more than 5,000 words.
2. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
3. Entries should be in English.
4. Please only submit original and unpublished stories.
5. Please do not submit previously published material. Previously published stories will be disqualified from the contest.
How to Submit:
6. Please email your entry to email@example.com only as a Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) attachment.
7. The submitted short story must have a title. Please make sure that the submitted document’s filename clearly mentions the title of the story and the name of the author. Writers can also mention their names and the titles of their stories on the first page of the documents. We don’t consider identifying information in the word count. There is no need for page numbering or headers and footers, please.
8. Text must be received in the following format: a single-spaced, left-aligned document with size-12 font.
UPDATE: Winners will be announced in the last week of October 2017.
Note: Writers retain the rights to the stories they submit for the short story contest. Only the three winning stories are published on DWL’s website and considered for Papercuts magazine’s print edition. For the three winning stories, first publication rights are with DWL and/or Papercuts magazine. After that, the winning authors are free to publish anywhere, as long as due credit is given to the DWL Short Story Contest and/or Papercuts magazine. DWL staff and Papercuts editorial team members are not eligible to participate in the contest.
Read the winning entries from previous DWL Short Story Contests before you apply. Thanks!